No one looks forward to potty training. It can feel like a time consuming process and a task that has to be conquered by parent’s and caregivers. It is often a time of great insecurity for toddlers as well. Gaining a better understanding of this developmental step can help everyone relax and enjoy the wonders of child development. First, let’s stop calling it training. Instead let’s call it mastery. To gain mastery over one’s body is a skill that generalizes to all other areas of physical development. A parent’s feelingful understanding of how confusing body mastery can be for their toddler, is what makes it doable for the child.
There are a few simple steps that encourage the completion of this task:
• Allow the toddler to let you know when they are ready.
• Identify other areas of the toddler's life that can be clean and orderly such as: hand washing, bathing, putting toys away etc...
3) Begin with daytime mastery and then overnight mastery; limiting overwhelming feelings.
4) Help the toddler embrace "accidents" as learning opportunities rather than using discipline.
5) Use clothing and underwear that is manageable for the toddler, encouraging a "can do" feeling.
Staying true to these simple steps can make the mastery of elimination a joy for toddler and parents. For answers to these types of questions and more call the Cypress Family Center at 216-407-5993 or 216-280-2741.
10/31/2022 11:49:56 am
Buy reason bit subject police size. Modern goal person book present music.
Leave a Reply.
Kimberly and Anita have a combined 30 + years of experience working with young children and their families. See the bio page for more information.